Friday, October 07, 2005

de cero

Ratings Guide:
Half handshake, half chest-bump hug – 5 stars
Chest bump – 4 stars
Fist bump – 3 stars
High five – 2 stars
Handshake – 1 star
Fone and fone – 0 stars
Manly ass slap – ½ star



Restaurant: de cero
Location: 814 W Randolph



Now, when I was in high school I took Latin, the language that all languages are based on. Or something like that. So, I’m pretty sure that “de cero” is French for “the awesome”.

When I opened up the menu, I realized the place served tacos and margaritas and guacamole and stuff. So, it might not be French after all. But, it certainly is awesome.

Apparently they refer to themselves as a “modern day taqueria”, which, according to the bartender, means they are a Mexican restaurant. Who knew?

But that’s all beside the point. Let us get down to business. The food here is great. The drinks are good. The atmosphere can be hit or miss (and this mostly depends on the clientele). Service has been great, but it’s also been awful.

First time I went there, we ended up waiting 45 minutes for a table – and we had reservations. So, it was a little annoying. But, like I always say, free food is the fastest way to my heart, and they gave us free appetizers, so they were forgiven.

Speaking of apps, I’ve had the salsa and guacamole. Both are serviceable and get the job done. Nothing special here. But, get an order of the duck nachos or the chiles rellenos and you’ll soon be doing mini-hip thrusts under the table. What I’m saying is they’re good.

But, if you want to eat something that will make you lick your plate and possibly hump the table, go for the tacos.

Tacos? Yes, tacos. These aren’t the run for the border hard shell variety you’re used to. The menu has 14 taco choices, and each one has its own unique fillings and flavor. Each choice is one taco, so you get the chance to mix-and-match. My favorites are (in no particular order): battered shrimp, grilled skirt steak, tomatillo pork, chicken mole, chipotle chicken, ahi tuna, and tres queso. Yes, I just listed half of the taco menu.

I usually order four of the tacos. Seems to be the right amount. Gives you a little bit of variety, but also is enough to fill you up. Especially if you have apps. Or, like me, you eat two baskets of chips and salsa.

Now, word has it that the menu also has entrees. I have no idea what these are like. They could be great, they could be awful. You’re on your own if you order them. I love the tacos. I order the tacos. I eat the tacos.

Oh, I have also had the tamales. They work the same as the tacos, but there are only three choices. They were really good, but again, they had nothing on the tacos.

The drinks are good and usually strong. The clientele ranges from “hipsters” to suit-and-tie-look-how-important-I-am business types. The bartenders are great, when you can get their attention at the crowded bar. The servers are helpful, so don’t be afraid to ask for their advice. But, if they advise against the tacos, don’t trust them and ask to move tables.

The place gets an added bonus for being in the West Loop. When you’re done with dinner you can walk to another bar for a drink, or head across the street to the chocolate factory for dessert.

If you want to learn more you can visit them online at http://www.decerotaqueria.com/index.html.

Final review: Chest bump.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home